Dustin James Schrantz
(March 10, 1996 – June 29, 2003)
PJ Schrantz, co-founder of WishGivers, is a retired NYC firefighter who was a first responder at Ground Zero on 9/11. To compound the grief he felt on September 11, 2001, PJ’s son Dustin was in the oncology ward of a Children’s Hospital fighting for his life. Dustin battled leukemia valiantly for four and a half years then died in his father’s arms at the age of seven.
PJ’s experience of coping with the heartache of Dustin’s death forged his commitment to help the families of firefighters, police officers and America’s military heroes who are NOW going through the same struggles his family endured.
In addition to the heartbreak, stress, and emotional turmoil that families with a critically ill child experience, there is also exorbitant medical bills and mounting financial debt. That’s where WishGivers like you can help!
PJ says, “I’ve seen families lose their homes because one or both parents had to leave their job in order to be with a very sick child for extended stays in the hospital. It’s bad enough to have a terminally ill child, but the financial pressures just make it worse. It takes a terrible toll on the whole family. It is heartbreaking, yet it goes on every day in the lives of thousands of America’s heroes.”
The Mission of WishGivers is to:
- Help alleviate financial burdens. We are committed to giving practical aid and support to our Wish families. We feel is the responsibility of ALL of our nation’s citizens to help our heroes in their time of need.
- Bring art, music, technology and smiles to Children’s Hospitals. You can help us bring hope and inspiration to these very sick children and their families.
- Provide life-saving medications, operations and treatment to critically ill children. We help the parents of critically ill children by providing the financial and medical resources they need to save their children’s lives.
- Grant wishes for terminally ill children. We enrich the lives of sick children through our wish-granting work.
- Raise awareness and support for America’s defenders and their families. Most Americans are unaware of the tremendous financial and emotional cost that having a terminally ill child extracts on the entire family. We raise community awareness and mobilize that into practical help for those who are hurting.
- Give practical support to the families of critically ill children. We provide counseling resources as well as hands-on support to the families of America’s heroes in their greatest time of need.
WishGivers is founded on love of God! Love of family! Love of country! Thank you for helping us help our HEROES!